All about living in this crazy, wonderful city called Bombay

October 31, 2005

Saw The Legend of Zorro...pretty good movie, though I couldn't help but wonder on how good it could have been if Steven Spielberg was completely in control, rather than being one of the Exec. Producers. What I am trying to say, I guess, is that it was a good movie, but not a "great" one, like, say, Gladiator or Braveheart. Catherine Zeta-Jones was stunning as usual (though her age is now creeping up on her face, I still think she is one of the most gorgeous Hollywood actresses), but Antonio Banderas sometimes just comes across like the village idiot - not intentionally, I guess!!

More stunning than the movie was the spectacular display of fireworks happening outside on Marine Drive, which we caught on our way. I know Bombay has some great fireworks every year around Diwali, but some of yesterday's displays outshone everything I have seen in the last 4 years. Hope its gonna be on for a few more days.

By any standards it is a tame Diwali in Bombay this year. Very few houses can be seen lighted, its the retail establishments that are supplying all the sparkling to the night skyline. And since for most Mumbaikars, yesterday's Dhanteras pooja is the biggest ritual of the Diwali season, I think this is going to be as good as it gets. All the banks were officially working yesterday (even though it was a Sunday) to reap in the extra moolah of Dhanteras spending, and I believe there were phenomenal sales of gold coins through the day. Wonder why people would buy so much knowing that the yellow metal's just gotto be at an all-time high right now????

No comments: