All about living in this crazy, wonderful city called Bombay

March 05, 2004

Arun Shanbhag posted this really wonderful comment on the value of heritage that I had discussed a couple of weeks earlier in my blog. Thought I would share it with all of you:

Tom Friedman (New York Times) has articulated this very succinctly in his book - The Lexus and the Olive Tree. While we may have a desire for more material, flashy things, our cultural heritage gives us the inner stability and strength we need. I travel to San Francisco and taste the glorious cuisine for a week, and then I come back home and want nothing but chapatis, bhaji, and dal rice.

While the glossy world makes us feel victorious in adapting, we rush back to our culture for the security and sense of identity. Like a safety net - its always there. Despite being away for more than a decade, I still salivate at planning my next Bombay trip. Its a place which will always be home. I expect to walk around the Gateway of India, Cuffe Parade, Oberoi, Marine Drive and in an instant I will be one of its children. Will never have left! The structures and buildings act like pegs to hold our dreams of perfect worlds. Bringing back fond memories of childhood.

No comments: