All about living in this crazy, wonderful city called Bombay

August 31, 2004

I am growing restless again...I need to be doing something more than just writing now. Something a little more pro-active. Something bigger. Something different, yet which allows me to be flex my creativity and writing skills. I want a new challenge.

I have no clue what this new thing would be, especially since I have no intentions of giving up my self-employed status. After four years of doing things at my own terms and in my own time, I just can't envision going back to office routine, or having to wake up, get dressed and leave for office at 8 in the morning every single day. I was never cut out for that kind of life, as the first few years in CNN and Indian Express showed me.

My good friend Tom Alter believes that I should write a book - he says I have a wonderful novel within me. Unfortunately, I just can't find it! I did start outlining the manuscript for a reference book - but I was just too bored and restless to put the final touches and send it off.

Indira Jaising suggested that I go back to law - but I just dont have that sort of viciousness left in me any longer. Neither do I have the sort of patience that anybody wrangling with the Indian judicial system requires. And I do want to continue writing - its just that that's not the only thing I want to do.

What I would really love to do if I had even a fraction of the resources, would be to launch a great international magazine in India - something like Conde Nast Traveller, Marie Claire or Robb Report. That has always been a dream. And I know that one day I will make it come true. But just now is not the time to attempt this sort of venture.

For the moment I am just drifting. If anybody has any suggestions on what career paths suit this kind of craving and skill sets, please let me know!!

No comments: