All about living in this crazy, wonderful city called Bombay

June 12, 2004

Bombay seems like a million worlds away at the moment....and I just dont feel like going back :(

The Lake Palace in Udaipur is such a peaceful place...its a beautiful place as well, but what I like the most about it is that its so peaceful!! It seems totally cut off from the rest of the world, and its for the first time in so many years that I have had dinner alone - just me and my thoughts - and have not felt the need to fill up the loneliness with reading a book or watching TV while eating. Just sitting and looking at the ambience was more than enough, while eating papad off Versace plates and drinking Mimosa from Baccarat crystal glasses. Do you realize how we are always crying about lack of free time, yet whenever we do get free time we just rush to fill it up with something, anything - whether its reading a book, watching TV, making a phone call...its really very difficult for most people to sit still with nothing to do for more than 10 minutes. I did that today, and believe me - its really liberating!

Today I also learnt that it costs US$50,000 to get married at the Jag Mandir Palace - which is actually Udaipur's original lake palace, built sometime in the 17th century. This US$50,000 includes dinner for 300 guests, transport, decor - basically everything that goes into the wedding. You, of course, would have to provide your own bride or groom!

I would love to have a destination wedding like this - think of all the irritating relatives that would automatically refrain from being a part of your wedding if they have to travel so far and have their own living arrangements in an alien place :)

My ideal wedding???? Sangeet and Mehndi on the Mewar Terrace and Lily Pond of the Lake Palace Hotel, the actual wedding ceremonies at the Zenana Mahal of the City Palace and the reception at its Durbar Hall. Are the concerned people listening??

1 comment:

Arun Shanbhag said...

so what are/were you doing in udaipur?

thanks for the lead to "Shakti in the City." Adding it to my india shopping list.
:)