All about living in this crazy, wonderful city called Bombay

May 28, 2004

Today, in one of the leading cafes of South Bombay, a Jain guy was served a chicken roll instead of the paneer (cottage cheese) roll that he had ordered. Now, for those who don't know this, Jains are amongst the most strict Hindu sects -- they don't even eat onions. And this guy had about half the roll before he realized the mistake made by the cafe. After that, all hell broke loose. This guy was so totally distraught, and though I am a non-vegetarian myself I can well imagine his agony. This is totally unpardonable!!

How do I know this? I was sitting on the adjacent table and saw and heard it with my own eyes.

What is the name of the cafe? I don't want to tell. I know I am a journalist and am supposed to disseminate news like this, but I seriously don't want to be responsible for the stone throwing and violence that is sure to commence if this comes out. All I will say is that it was in the Colaba-Churchgate-Fort area. And no, it was not a Barista.

3 comments:

Anubha Charan said...

It happens Amrit...usually if you are in a group and talking while eating, you take a couple of bites before the taste really sinks in. And it was a wrap, so he could not have made out from the outside that it was not what he had ordered.

Arun Shanbhag said...

Ouch!
You should have asked the guy to write a letter to the editor. Here in the US, the restaurant would have been sued.

Anonymous said...

>> How do I know this? I was sitting on the adjacent table and saw and heard it with my own eyes.

Wow. Tell me how you hear with your eyes!
I guess being a journalist, you don't read what you wrote ;)

The guy should sue the restaurant. But hey, he didn't come to know till he ate half of it. Gimme a break!