All about living in this crazy, wonderful city called Bombay

February 18, 2004

I am going to Delhi next week, and know what...while it seems great to be going there and meeting all my friends, its no longer this feeling that I am going "home". Home is now Bombay, through and through, even though I spent 18 years in Delhi and just 3 years in Bombay. I feel far more comfortable here...Delhi is just a fun place you go to for a vacation, and then come back home to Bombay!!

Here's what I really love about Bombay, which no other city in India has:
1. The fact that I can be out on the road alone at 2 in the night, and still not feel scared.
2. The fact that I can go to a restaurant/pub/cinema hall/market alone and not have to be bothered about catcalls, creepy looks and jerkish passes from roadside romeos.
3. The fact that gender equality does exist out here.
4. The fact that Bombay has the best public transport system in the country!
5. The fact that single girls coming home from a late night party are not criticised and immediately branded as "loose".
6. The fact that I every known cuisine in the world is available right at your doorstep whichever part of the city you stay in.
7. The fact that Bombay has this wonderfully eclectic mix of people, making social life really interesting.
8. The fact that Bombay has the most wonderful collection of Victorian and Art Deco buildings in the world -- even Britain cannot rival this collection! Everywhere you go is like stepping into a slice of cultural history.
9. The sea and my house, which sits right on the edge of the water...especially late at night when the darkness is dotted by the tiny, orange lamps of hundreds of fishing boats.
10. The fact that there is something new happening in Bombay all the time, and that there is an exciting story just waiting to be told around every corner.....!!

No comments: