All about living in this crazy, wonderful city called Bombay

October 13, 2003

Sachin Tendulkar's Foodie Cravings...

I am a big eater and I love seafood. I am very passionate about good food, and also enjoy a spot of cooking. Though I travel so often and get to eat different types of food, I really miss the simple, home-cooked Maharashtrian khaana when I am on tour.

A personal favorite is the Bommaloe Macchi, or Bombay Duck, a small fish native to the Mumbai area. A fact that surprises quite a few people is that Bombay Duck is not really a duck, but actually a dried, salted fish. I love its pungency – it is a little spicy and salty – and it can be eaten as a crispy deep-fried starter or as an accompaniment to a curry dish, as it can be served both fried and broiled. I also have a weakness for Goan-style crab.

Other than that, when I am in Mumbai I love going to the Thai Pavilion at the Taj President Hotel, the Golden Dragon and the Regent for its Chinese food. Now, of course, a favorite haunt is going to be Tendulkar’s – not only because it is my restaurant, but also because it has a handpicked selection of my favorite dishes from around the world.

The best Maharashtrian food in town, however, continues to be exclusively and indisputably available at a small apartment in Bandra – in my mother’s kitchen! And that is impossible to replicate anywhere else in the world.

Read the complete transcript in India Today Plus (November, 2003)

No comments: